Need some help please

Problem or Question with your Boat or Electronics? Curious about the latest Gadet?

Need some help please

Postby gcurl on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 am

Can anyone tell me why an automatic bilge pump will run, but not shut off. I cannot see my pump in the boat, but it runs and kills the battery and the manual switch is in the off position. Is there a float switch some where on the pump that could be stuck? This appears to be one of two things not going through the perko switch.

Thanks for your help in advance.
The "Insta-Gator"
gcurl
Non-Member

Postby Joseph P. on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 am

I had the same problem with mine. I had a separate float switch and sand got inside it, I cleaned it out and everthing was fine.
Joseph P.
CHSC MEMBER
CHSC MEMBER

Boat Type: 1900 KW

Postby Hoss Daniel on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 am

The bilge pump is normally at the lowest point of the boat, near the drain plug on the transom. There are two types that i am familiar with. One has a built in float switch and the other is external. Both are three wire systems. One wire goes to the neg. side of the battery, one straight from the battery through the float and the other goes through the switch(usually a rocker type on the console). See if you can follow your discharge hose back to the pump. If your boat is like the Scout I had, then it is at the very bottom of a lot of STUFF! If you are fishing this weekend, let me know and I will meet you and give you a hand with it. Did you try unplugging the wire at the manual switch? The switch may have failed in the on position.
Hoss Daniel
Team "Tangled Up"
Hoss Daniel
Non-Member

Postby gcurl on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:54 am

I know where the pump is , but I cannot see the whole pump through the battery compartment access hole. It is a gold color glued to the bottom of the boat. I cannot tell what kind of float switch it has. I have an access hole in front of the transom, but I need a special wrench to remove the screw plug. Maybe I will be able to see better through the hole.

Thanks for your help.
The "Insta-Gator"
gcurl
Non-Member

Postby Ron Waller on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:45 pm

I also had the same problem...I took a garden hose and hosed it down. I never new what caused the float to stick...but flushing with the hose fixed the problem.

Ron
Ron W
Ron Waller
Non-Member

Re: Need some help please

Postby Tim WALTERS on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:14 am

gcurl wrote:Can anyone tell me why an automatic bilge pump will run, but not shut off. I cannot see my pump in the boat, but it runs and kills the battery and the manual switch is in the off position. Is there a float switch some where on the pump that could be stuck? This appears to be one of two things not going through the perko switch.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Grady I have had the floats to stick. I have had the floats to freeze.
Tim
Tim WALTERS
Non-Member

Return to Tech Talk