Catfishing on Santee Cooper July 22 and 23rd

Post about your trips for fish other than striper!

Catfishing on Santee Cooper July 22 and 23rd

Postby capt hopscotch on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:03 pm

My friend and I went down to Santee with high hopes, (we go down each summer) and expecting to catch lots of catfish. We arrived Monday evening and got our room at Canal Lakes. Fished a little, didnt stay on the water too long because of bad weather. No fish were caught, but just a little time on the water. We had plans to go fish the bottom lake and plow out the creek channels or ditches. We werent able to do so because the weather was very unsettled, way to far to take the boat and have a bad storm blow up. That being said, we stuck close to the canal. The water was the highest ive ever seen it there. Not many fish in the canal. We went up past Harrys saw fish signs and dropped our lines in. I nailed 3 blues in 15 minutes, thought we were going to killem, however we didnt catch any more fish the rest of the day. Marked bait, fish, everything looked great but no fish. We had a bunch of short strikes. 0 nothing. Next day we tried fishing flats. Pretty much same deal, we caught 3 fish, lots of short bites, no more fish. So we were talking to everyone at Canal Lakes and they were having pretty much the same luck. It was the first time I have been to Santee and not killed em, so I guess it was time to be humbled. We still had a great time, ate well, and had a safe trip. Sorry I cant give a glowing report on Santee, I must have missed it by a week either way. Im sure the irregular weather didnt help. I think if I could have fished where I wanted to we might have a different report.
capt hopscotch
Non-Member

Boat Type: 18 ft crestliner
Call Sign: capt hopscotch

Return to Fishing Reports - Other Fish