Fishing below the dam

Post about your striper trip!

Fishing below the dam

Postby StripeTease on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:23 pm

I live in the middle Tennessee area and was there visiting the in-laws last week. I managed to find some fish below Russell Dam, but they live close to Thurmond Dam. Are there usually as many below Thurmond as there are below Russell?
StripeTease
Non-Member

Boat Type: Pathfinder 1900V

Re: Fishing below the dam

Postby Phil Roper on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:08 pm

If you"re fishing below thurmond (Clark Hill) dam, you will be in the Savannah River. The numbers probably are not there but there have been some large fish caught there recently. Different fishing terrain, be careful for under water obstacles. Never fished there but club members have and warned about being alert. Good Luck
Phil Roper
CHSC MEMBER
CHSC MEMBER

Postby StripeTease on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks Phil. Any advice is appreciated. I have chased these things for thirty years here and feel somewhat at home here, but I realize now what it feels like to new comers in my area, when in unfamiliar water. I practice catch and release here and I assure you I won't be eating any Georgia fish either. The liberal Georgia limit is a little shocking to me. Two fish statewide here(must be 15 inches) and our trophy waters are only one over 42 inches daily(none from 32-42).
StripeTease
Non-Member

Boat Type: Pathfinder 1900V

Postby wareagle15 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

How is the fishing below the Russell dam during the summer. Caught some decent fish up there during the spring just curious if the fish will stay through the summer. Any help is appreciated.
wareagle15
Non-Member

Boat Type: jon boat
Call Sign: striper hound

Postby Roy Phillips on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Wareagle15, below Russell Dam used to be the place to fish in July and August. It may still be. However, now that they installed the oxygenation near Modoc, the fishing SHOULD be just as good (maybe better). I say "should" because I haven't really fished near Modoc since they installed the new system. But here is the thing to pay attention to. The oxyenation system was installed to mitigate the effects of increased back pumping of water from Clarks Hill back up into Lake Russell. Now that the system is in place, the Army Corps of Engineers is entitled to use all four pumps on the Russell Dam to pump. They haven't done that yet, but when they do, we expect that it will degrade (if not completely destroy) the striper habitat below the Russell dam. There are millions of dollars at stake in installing the oxygenation system and back pumping Russell, so it is only a matter of time before the summer fishing below Russell becomes history. Last Saturday (16 June 2012) I fished below Russell dam and caught 2 fish with a combined weight of a little over 7 pounds (one on planer boards the other cut bait fishing). Based on what I saw on my Hummindbird, there didn't appear to be a lot of fish in the area and we only got a few bites all day.

- roy
Roy Phillips
CHSC MEMBER
CHSC MEMBER

Boat Type: Lund Fisherman 2000 w/150 HP Suzuki 4 Stroke
Call Sign: N/A

Postby wareagle15 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the info Roy. I have read up on this issue some and have been wanting to try fishing down near modoc. This is only my second year striper fishing the hill. A friend of mine has a place at fishing creek so I usually drive up to bobby brown to buy bait and put in up there. I would like to do the same down there but don't know of any places. I like to buy bait just before putting in so they will be lively. If anyone could tell me some places the buy herring and a good ramp in this area ill be glad to let y'all know how I do, im thinking I may try it this weekend any help is appreciated.
wareagle15
Non-Member

Postby Roy Phillips on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Wareagle15, coming from Statesboro, you'll want to head up Rt 28 (aka 221) towards McCormick, SC. Just before you get to the Clarks Hill Dam (aka Strom Thurmond Dam) you will pass the Herring Hut on your left. You can get bait there. Then proceed up 28 and turn left on State Road S-33-165. Stay on S-33-165 until you come to the Modoc Boat Ramp. Launch there and head out to the middle of the Savannah River portion of Clarks Hill Lake. You should be able to see the bubbles from the oxygenation pipes. If you don't, don't worry about it. Just fish the South Caronlina half of the river from Modoc down about 3 miles or so towards the dam (or from about 2 miles above the dam up to Modoc if you want to look at it that way). The water in that entire area will be well oxygenated. You'll have to figure out on your own how deep the fish are. They'll move down the water column as the water temperature at the surface of the lake increases. Just don't catch all of the big ones; leave a few in the lake for the rest of us. :D -roy
Roy Phillips
CHSC MEMBER
CHSC MEMBER

Postby wareagle15 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks again Roy are there any good boat ramps on the GA side since im staying outside of lincolnton I would like to put in on this side if possible. But thanks im gonna do some looking around this weekend and will check that out.
wareagle15
Non-Member

Postby Roy Phillips on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:11 pm

If you are staying near Lincolnton, then you can get bait near the Soap Creek Marina. Rob Hedrick sells bait (The Bait Hole- call before you go (706) - 401 - 0029; Located off Soap Creek Lodge Rd.). To get there, take 378 East from Lincolnton and turn right onto Soap Creek Lodge Road. Head down the road a little less than a mile and turn right at the sign that says Honey's or Bait or something like that. Honey's is on your right. A little further down there is a sign that points to the left that says "The Bait Hole". I don't know if Honey's is still selling bait or not. Mr. Honeycutt is in a nursing home, but I think that his son is still selling bait. As for launches on the Georgia Side, your best bet would be Cherokee launch ramp. This is a pretty nice facility. It is located on the east side of Route 47 (Augusta Highway and later Washington Road), just before you cross over the Little River Georgia bridge (just north of Pointes West Army Recreation Facility and Ben Dreamin gas station). You need to leave something like $3 or $5 in an envelope to use the launch ramp. There are toilet facilities and a fish cleaning station there. Launch at Cherokee, turn left on Georgia Little River and head on down to the Savannah River portion of the lake. You can fish from the junction of the rivers all the way up to Modoc. The Georgia DNR rep gave us a brief on the oxygenation plant. The highest oxygon levels are on the South Carolina side of the river. - roy
Roy Phillips
CHSC MEMBER
CHSC MEMBER

Postby wareagle15 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Wow thanks again Roy very good info
wareagle15
Non-Member

Postby Jay_hawk06 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am

Honeycutt grandson has some great bait and good service.
Jay_hawk06
Non-Member

Boat Type: Center Console Allison
Call Sign: Miss Elvita

Postby wareagle15 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Anyone have any reports for this area. Headed up this weekend curious as to how the fishing has been. Anyone know if the boat ramp above Bobby brown is still safe to use.
wareagle15
Non-Member

Postby Rosalene on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm

I can't give you a fishing report because we haven't been out. Thought I would give you ramp info though. Look on the COE web site at http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/thu ... ations.pdf for the elevations of the boat ramps and when they are considered difficult to launch from. I personally checked out Cherokee Rec Area this weekend. One ramp is useable if it is a short trailer but I would not launch my pontoon from there. I can see the end of the ramp under the water and there is a drop off from it. A long trailer would go over.
Rosalene
CHSC 2-yr. At-large
CHSC 2-yr. At-large

Boat Type: 20 ft pontoon -- suntracker

Postby Ryantripp on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks Rosie , that's a great chart!
Ryantripp
CHSC MEMBER
CHSC MEMBER

Boat Type: Sea Fox - 245 BF
Call Sign: n/a